The Outline of Schoolnet
Children are living in advanced information-oriented
society, where they are surrounded by a lot
of information. In order to live in that
kind of society, children must have the ability
to select the most useful information from
the enormous amount of information available,
and they must be able to send their own positive
message. Therefore, we have designed Schoolnet,
the network for the public schools in Ishikawa
Prefecture, in order to raise such children.
The center of Schoolnet is based at Ishikawa-ken
Kyoiku Center (Ishikawa Prefectural Educational
Research and In Service Center ), and we
are going to make the network safe and easy
2 The Features of Schoolnet
- In order to put message out on the web, each school has 20MB of web page space.
- Earch school has ten mail accounts.
- The network connects very fast through three access points (Komatsu, Kanazawa, Wajima) of the IMS (Ishikawa Multimedia Super Highway).
- A firewall prevents inappropriate access from outside the network.
- There is software that stops children from accessing unsuitable websites.
- There is software to find computer viruses and get rid of them.
- We are constructing the Data Base to provide various kinds of information
for educational purposes.
3 The Outline of Our Study
- We are doing a study that encourages the students of each school to tell
us what they are doing in their school life with the internet.
- We are studying how to send audio-visual information.